In 1729 the Paxton Township of Lancaster County was established, comprised of what is now Lower, Middle and Upper Paxton as well as Susquehanna Townships. The word “Paxton” was actually brought over by the Scottish settlers and means “town or area of Peace”. On March 4, 1785 the County of Dauphin was formed from Lancaster County. The word “Dauphin” was from the French name given to the Prince of France whose country the area government wanted to honor for its assistance in the Revolutionary War. Two years later in August of 1787, Middle Paxton Township was sectioned off from the original Paxton Township.